A kitchen remodel is a chance to breathe new life into your home and enhance its functionality and aesthetics. However, without proper planning and knowledge, it's easy to fall into costly and common mistakes that lead to unsatisfactory results.
When planning your kitchen remodel, there are many factors to consider. While we can't tell you which tone of granite or quartz suits your style the best, we can teach you how to avoid common remodeling mistakes. For more tips and kitchen remodeling ideas, head to our blogs “Creating a Kitchen for Hosting” and “Tips For Achieving a Mid-Century Modern Design for Your Home”.
• Not Enough Lighting: Proper lighting is crucial in a kitchen. Avoid the mistake of inadequate or poorly placed lighting by incorporating a combination of ambient, task, accent, and natural lighting to create a well-lit and inviting space. Proper lighting is crucial in a kitchen. Avoid the mistake of inadequate or poorly placed lighting by incorporating a combination of ambient, task, accent, and natural lighting to create a well-lit and inviting space.
• Neglecting Storage Solutions: Kitchens come with a lot of stuff, which is why you should prioritize storage space. Maximize your kitchen's potential by investing in smart storage solutions. Ample cabinets and organizers keep your space clutter-free and highly functional, especially if you have a small kitchen.
• Overlooking Kitchen Work Flow: Consider the kitchen's layout and workflow to maximize efficiency and functionality. The "kitchen work triangle" principle, connecting the sink, stove, and refrigerator, should be well-planned to make cooking and food preparation more convenient. The perfect kitchen layout allows you to flow easily from one workstation to the next with little to no disruption.
• Ignoring Professional Help: While DIY projects can be rewarding, complex kitchen remodels often require professional expertise. Avoid costly mistakes by consulting with experienced contractors and designers who can offer valuable insights and ensure a successful outcome.
• Sacrificing Functionality For Aesthetics: While aesthetics are essential, prioritizing style over functionality can lead to regrets later. Strive for a balance between aesthetics and usability to create a kitchen that is both visually appealing and practical.
• Failing to Plan for Future Needs: Your kitchen should adapt to your changing needs over time. Avoid short-sighted design choices and plan for future upgrades or modifications.
• Cheap Cabinets: Forgetting to invest in quality cabinets can dim the overall appearance of your new kitchen. Don't worry, we have a wide selection of eye-catching cabinet styles and finishes. We even offer custom cabinetry options to ensure your kitchen looks uniform and stylish!
• Forgetting About The Trash: Well, actually, we want to forget the trash. We want to pretend it doesn't exist at all instead of being constantly reminded of its presence with it sitting right there in the open, reeking of last night's fish tacos. So don't forget the trash just yet! Definitely be sure to include it in your remodeling plans. A great solution is to keep the garbage discreetly in a pull-out trash bin hidden behind a cupboard.
• Poor Ventilation: While there's nothing quite as warming to the soul as coming home to the smell of homemade apple pie, you don't necessarily get that same enthusiasm from last week's crab cakes. A quality range hood will help clean the air and reduce grease particles that would otherwise land on your kitchen's surfaces. Proper ventilation is important to your kitchen's overall value.
• Choosing Appliances Last: Even though they'll be one of the last things installed, it's important to choose your appliances first as your cabinetry and layout will depend on it. Make sure your contractor has the exact measurements of each appliance before even considering measuring for your cabinets. Once those bad boys are in, it is more than just a headache to change. Having trouble settling on appliances? Let our appliance experts help you decide which appliances will suit you best.
• Not Enough (Or Poorly Placed) Outlets: From coffeemakers to blenders, an appropriate amount of outlets are necessary for the kitchen. This way, you can avoid having to keep all your small appliances in one corner simply because it's the only place with an outlet.
• Prioritize Your Must Haves: Before delving into the design, make a list of your must-haves and non-negotiables for the kitchen. This will help you stay focused on essential elements and avoid getting overwhelmed with unnecessary features.
• Add a Pop of Color: Inject some personality into your kitchen with a pop of color. Whether through a vibrant backsplash, colorful appliances, or accent decor, a splash of color can enliven the space.
• Opt for a Classic Design: While it's tempting to follow the latest trends, consider incorporating timeless design elements that won't look outdated in a few years. Classic styles and neutral color palettes can stand the test of time.
A kitchen remodel is a big deal, and deciding whether you should hire a professional kitchen designer depends on various factors:
• Complexity of the Project: If your remodel involves structural changes, electrical and plumbing work, or custom cabinetry, it's best to consult a professional designer. They have the expertise to handle complex projects and can ensure everything is done correctly.
• Design Expertise: Professional designers have an eye for design and can create a cohesive and visually appealing kitchen that suits your preferences and lifestyle. They consider factors like layout, colors, and materials to achieve a balanced and functional space.
• Save Time and Money: While hiring a designer may add to your initial costs, it can save you time and money in the long run. They can help you avoid costly mistakes and guide you to make informed decisions within your budget.
• Access to Resources: Designers have access to a wide range of resources and contacts in the industry. They can connect you with reliable contractors, suppliers, and showrooms, making the remodeling process more convenient.
• Stress-Free Process: Kitchen remodels can be overwhelming, but with a designer by your side, you can navigate the process with ease. They handle the logistics, oversee the project, and ensure everything runs smoothly.
Transform your kitchen into a modern kitchen masterpiece with our expert kitchen remodeling services. Our team of skilled designers and remodelers is dedicated to creating functional and eye-catching spaces that will exceed your expectations. Whether you have a small kitchen that needs a clever makeover or a larger space perfect for entertaining, we have the expertise to bring your dream kitchen to life.
Our designers work closely with you to understand your unique style and preferences, ensuring that every aspect of your new kitchen reflects your personality. From stunning cabinetry to innovative kitchen features, we leave no detail overlooked. We pride ourselves on using the finest materials and the latest trends in kitchen design to ensure your space is both beautiful and functional. Whether you're looking for a contemporary, minimalist look or a classic, timeless design, our team can create a kitchen that suits your taste and lifestyle.
Don't settle for a mediocre kitchen when you can have the kitchen of your dreams. Let Bray and Scarff's experienced kitchen remodelers turn your vision into reality. Contact us today to schedule a consultation or head to one of our store locations such as Bethesda, MD, or Arlington, VA, to discover why we are the best choice for kitchen appliances and remodeling.
Items in Cart: 0